Mostly brakes, a little wheels and some suspension
Repairs and modifications made on the brakes, wheels and suspension on my Alfetta QO
Wheels and tires: 
My Alfetta was fitted with the original 14x5.5" Speedline rims and four tires which were several years past last date. It was like driving on wet ice, not much traction (but they were kind of fun to drive...J). I was lucky to get hold of four 7*15" Ronal A1's after some time, these rims are fitted with 195x60 Pirelli P6000 tires (which are close to the same diameter as the original 185x70/14" profile tires).
The Ronal A1's suit the Alfetta perfectly and vice versa! 
I have ordered a set of EBC green Stuff brake pads for the Brembo brake calibers. The brake calibers has been dismantled and cleaned. The pistons and bores has been polished, and refitted with new rubber sealing's.
The Brembo and original caliber (notice the difference in width)
Left: Vented Brembo TS disc vs. standard Alfetta brake disc
Below: The brakes, the brake discs and the hub has been removed, everything has been cleaned off and painted black with Hammerite.
(I don't expect it to hold for a very long time, but let's see, it's definitely  better than nothing, and looks good too - for the time being).
All surfaces on the inner side of the front wings was cleaned and fixed last year.
Only minor surface rust was visible in this area.
Fitting the new discs, as well as the new Brembo brake calipers.
READY! Except for the fact that my Ronal A1's are too narrow for use together with the wider Brembo caliper SHIT SHIT SHIT, I need to get hold of some spacers or some different wheels. Since my 195 mm tires already exceeds the sidewall of the front wing, I cannot add spacers without also fit some plastic fenders. I need to get hold of some new rims DAMN ! The Alfetta looks so good with the Ronal A1's.
The original brake disc and brake caliber. The Brembo caliber is only approx. 10 mm wider than the original caliber, but that's enough to interfere with the rear side of the "telephone dial of the A1's. 

Back on the horse, and start to re-fit the original calibers, brake discs and finally  refitting A1's.

I need to look for some new wheels! It didn't take long before I actually found a set of four 7*16" Alfa 155 Speedline "look-a-likes" with nice tires, for a very good price.

I have tried one of the 16" Speedline's on the front wheel hubs. 
Well, I just learned that they don't fit my car! What is it with those Italians??? After an E-mail correspondence back and forth with the editor of the Danish Alfa Romeo Klub magazine I learned, that not only did Fiat change the driven wheels from the back to the front, they also changed the hub size from 58.6 mm to 58.1 mm WELL DONE FIAT!!!

 
Next job is my rear brakes, as the old ones are worn down and generally has poor braking power. Therefore I have purchased a set of Tarox Sport Japan discs and corresponding EBC Green Stuff rear pads. From experience I know that changing the brakes includes dismantling the brake calipers as the O-rings for the outer adjustment screws leaks, when you start working with these. But It should not be more than a two - three hour job from jacking up the car until the pads has been properly adjusted (0.10 mm clearance)

The size of the old and new disc are the same, the new ones are probably of a better material and are vented for better cooling.

I have used them for a while now, and also for track day event - they DO brake better!
 

Fitted and adjusted (after the obligatory replacement of O-rings) New Tarox discs and EBC pads compared to the original
Note the nice condition of the gearbox (just need to re-apply fresh black tape)
Preparing rear suspension springs for a fresh layer of paint - I have cut off a section of the springs (not the optimum way - but cheap), you can see the difference from the picture to the left, where the unclean spring has the original end pointing towards the photographer (me ), and the cleaned shows the cut of section.
I have the uncut end downwards.

The front torque rods are replaced with those from a GTV 2.5, as these are 30 - 40 % more stiff and fit right over.

I have replaced the original shock absorbers with red Koni's (oil damped) They are put in the softest dampening position as possible, but are still a bit too hard. It feel as the rear end is not always able to expand quick enough.

Home to Repair main page